2 Days: 10:30am - 3:30pm
May be subject to minor time alterations
CPD Accredited Advanced Certificate
Contact us for group rates
The two-day Sub-Editing certified short course will train you in the fundamental techniques of editing, subbing, and proofreading of copy text into precise and highly readable stories, as demanded by content publishers. The Sub-Editing course is aimed at a broad range of participants, from sub-editors, bloggers, communications professionals to journalists who require practical and skills-focused training.
You will learn how to approach written copy critically and reshape it into compelling editorial content that people will want to read. Focusing on practical exercises and using real-world examples, the course also focuses on the different sub-editing approaches required for various types of material. It explains the distinctive subbing methods demanded by print and online media.
- Sub-edit copy text
- Understand the editorial workflows
- Brush up on grammar
- Utilise house styles and guides
- Write headlines and captions
- Get up to speed on copyright issues
- Apply correction marks
- What is sub-editing?
- Editorial copy workflows
- Tips for checking your own writing
- Fundamentals of English grammar
STYLE AND CONSISTENCY
- Tips on punctuation and spelling
- Aspects of writing style
- Using a style guide
NEWS AND FEATURES
- How to write and edit news stories
- Sub-editing feature copy
- Writing good headlines, intros, captions and more
MEDIA LAW FOR SUBS
- Defamation and libel
- Copyright and intellectual property
- Social media and reader engagement
SUB-EDITING FOR PRINT
- Understanding how people read
- Fitting copy to a fixed space
- Fundamentals of typography
- Essential correction marks
It is if you are involved in producing professional content and want to equip yourself with the core skills required to edit news stories, features, blogs, and more to professional standards.
You will learn how to approach written copy critically and reshape it into compelling editorial content that people will want to read.
- Tuesday 12th December 2023 (In-Person)
- Tuesday 16th January 2024 (In-Person)
- Tuesday 30th January 2024 (Online)
- Tuesday 13th February 2024 (In-Person)
- Tuesday 27th February 2024 (Online)
Offers and Concessions
The charity rate is a 15% discount.
Use code CHARITY15 to get 15% off your booking.
The group rate is a 15% discount for groups of 3.
Use code GROUP15 to get 15% off your booking.
If your group is more than 3,
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for our special rates.
Interested in a group booking, instalment payment, or want to know more?
All of our short courses are designed to be flexible to your needs and demands
Explore these three related short courses – chosen and recommended by our industry experts.
Our Happy Clients
I very much enjoyed this course. It included everything I wanted to know… I only wish it lasted longer!
The course has grounded me in a better understanding of the industry processes and interdependencies.
The course was really enjoyable and informative, and it was really helpful to gain a more formal understanding of grammar rules and editing techniques.