2 Days: 10:30am - 3:30pm
May be subject to minor time alterations
CPD Accredited Advanced Certificate
Contact us for group rates
The 2-day certified Book Editing course is industry-recognised editing and proofreading course, which provides an excellent base for a career in publishing. It provides a thorough grounding in the essentials of book editing and proofreading. The course facilitator will provide you with exercises to try out and feedback is given throughout the training.
The certificated course concentrates on editing and proofreading skills for the book publishing industry and focuses on the techniques required in preparing text for publication.
- Understand the sequence of operations in the editorial processes
- Copy-edit text
- Check grammar and punctuation in text
- Apply house style in copy-editing and proofing
- Understand the legal elements: defamation, copyright and use of trademarks
- Choose formats that are appropriate for texts
- Specify typographical instructions in texts
- Handle different types of proofs
- Apply BSI marks
THE EDITORIAL OFFICE AND THE EDITORIAL TEAM
- The constituent parts of a book, conventions of page sequencing and numbering
- How to work on copy (authors’ manuscripts)
COPY-EDITING AND HOUSE-STYLE:
- Copy-editing marks and how to use them
- The benefits of having a house-style guide
WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE:
- Checking spellings
- Checking grammar and punctuation
- Copy-editing exercise: (for feedback session at start of day 2)
EDITORIAL PRODUCTION, PUBLISHING LEGALITIES AND THE BSI PROOFING MARKS
- Feedback and review session on the copy-editing homework
- The editing and production process: from author to press
- Trademarks use and misuse in copy
- Media Law: defamation, copyright and trademarks
INTRODUCTION TO PROOF-READING AND BSI PROOF CORRECTION MARKS
- Dealing with typesetting problems on proofs, word-splitting and bad breaks
- Applying the BSI marks
- Proof-reading exercises
PROOFS AND THE PROCESS OF PROOFREADING
- Types of proofs
- Proof-reading exercises
- Feedback on exercises
The course is designed for those wishing to work in editorial and proofreading and work in books and related publishing. The course is suitable for both those changing career direction and those already in publishing and requiring refresher training. The course is very thorough and provides delegates with practical and solid skills required for an editorial role in book publishing.
LSPR Professional Development Advanced Certificate. The Advanced Certificate is recognised by the: Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Certification Service: http://www.cpduk.co.uk
Interested in a group booking, or want to know more?
All our courses are designed to be flexible to your needs and demands
Offers and Concessions
Interested in seeing what concessions may apply to you? Whether you are a charity or looking for group rates, we have special offers available to suit your circumstances and budgets.
Explore these three related courses – chosen and recommended by our industry experts.
Our Happy Clients
I very much enjoyed this course. It included everything I wanted to know… I only wish it lasted longer!
The course has grounded me in a better understanding of the industry processes and interdependencies.
Really enjoyed the session! Great to be learning from such well-informed professionals who have a great experience to share.
Want to know more?
Book a free 15-minute chat with one of our advisors