2 Days: 10:30am - 3:30pm
May be subject to minor time alterations
CPD Accredited Advanced Certificate
Contact us for group rates
The 2-Day Picture Research course is recognised as being the UK’s leading training course in this subject and is accredited by the British Association of Picture Libraries and Agencies [BAPLA].
The course will help you learn how to source images, interpret briefs, manage the project, commission photographers, handle copyright and legal issues related to sourcing images, and use in a wide range of media products, including advertisements, books, magazines, and newspapers catalogues and television programmes.
- Role of the picture researcher and industry overview
- The importance of visuals
- Responding and Interpreting Briefs
- Image sourcing
- Copyright law
- Captions, Credits and Copyright issues
- Deadlines and Budgets
DAY ONE – COURSE AND INDUSTRY OVERVIEW
- Introduction to the Picture Research industry and career development
- Working in Picture Research in magazines, newspapers, books, and picture libraries
- Digital: websites, apps, social media, video
RESPONDING AND INTERPRETING BRIEFS
- Different types of briefs and how to interpret them
- Picture libraries, museums, galleries and archives
- Picture research online – new developments
- Resolution and watermarks transmission methods
COMMISSIONING AND LEGAL ASPECTS OF COPYRIGHT AND IP
- Viewing portfolios and commissioning
- Managing photoshoots
- Legal: photographers’ rights, model release, contracts
DAY 2 – PICTURE EDITING AND SELECTION
- The language of pictures
- Picture editing and selection
PROJECT MANAGEMENT 1: DEADLINES AND BUDGETS
- Budgeting a project and negotiating fees
- Managing the workload and projects
PROJECT MANAGEMENT 2: CAPTIONS, CREDITS AND COPYRIGHT ISSUES
- Identifying and acknowledging images
- Legal: Royalty-Free, Rights Managed, DACS, Copyright and Artists’ Estates
- Rights clearance
- Maintaining records and databases
DIGITAL ASPECTS OF PICTURE RESEARCH
- Imagery for websites and apps
INDUSTRY NEWS AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT
- The evolving role of the picture researcher/editor
- The Future of picture research
- Your career development
The course is suitable for those interested in pursuing a career in picture research and picture editing, those in the early stages of their career or those who require refresher training to keep up-to-date with any changes affecting the industry. The training is packed full of practical skills to see you succeed in your career as a picture researcher.
Interested in a group booking, or want to know more?
All our courses are designed to be flexible to your needs and demands
Offers and Concessions
Interested in seeing what concessions may apply to you? Whether you are a charity or looking for group rates, we have special offers available to suit your circumstances and budgets.
Explore these three related courses – chosen and recommended by our industry experts.
Our Happy Clients
I very much enjoyed this course. It included everything I wanted to know… I only wish it lasted longer!
The course has grounded me in a better understanding of the industry processes and interdependencies.
Really enjoyed the session! Great to be learning from such well-informed professionals who have a great experience to share.